Application for Victims' Compensation




Who may File Claims. – The following may file claims for compensation before the Board:

(a) any person who was unjustly accused, convicted and imprisoned but subsequently released by virtue of a judgment of acquittal;
(b) any person who was unjustly detained and released without being charged;
(c) any victim of arbitrary or illegal detention by the authorities as defined in the Revised Penal Code under a final judgment of the court; 
(d) any person who is a victim of violent crimes. For purposes of this Act, violent crimes shall include rape and shall likewise refer to offenses committed with malice which resulted in death or serious physical and/or psychological injuries, permanent incapacity or disability, insanity, abortion, serious trauma, or committed with torture, cruelty or barbarity. (Section 3, RA 7309)
(e) Victims of enforced or involuntary disappearance under Republic Act 10353.
When to File Claims. – Any person entitled to compensation under this Act must, within six (6) months after being released from imprisonment or detention, or from the date the victim suffered damage or injury, file his claim with the Department, otherwise, he is deemed to have waived the same. Except as provided for in this Act, no waiver of claim whatsoever is valid. (Section 5, RA 7309)
Filing of Claims by Heirs. – In case of death or incapacity of any person entitled to any award under this Act, the claim may be filed by his heirs, in the following order: by his surviving spouse, children, natural parents, brother and/or sister. (Section 6, RA 7309)
Award Ceiling. – For victims of unjust imprisonment or detention, the compensation shall be based on the number of months of imprisonment or detention and every fraction thereof shall be considered one month; Provided, however, That in no case shall such compensation exceed One Thousand pesos (P1,000.00) per month. 
In all other cases, the maximum amount for which the Board may approve a claim shall not exceed Ten thousand pesos (P10,000.00) or the amount necessary to reimburse the claimant the expenses incurred for hospitalization, medical treatment, loss of wage, loss of support or other expenses directly related to injury, whichever is lower. This is without prejudice to the right of the claimant to seek other remedies under existing laws. (Section 4, RA 7309)
We are ISO Certified